Why Deep Fried Turkey?
There is only one reason to deep fry a turkey: great tasting turkey! Look at the photo below to see a great looking and tasting deep fried turkey.
photo by ukanda
Many people claim that deep fried turkey is the only way to cook a turkey, and its the only way to have great tasting turkey.
How did Deep Frying Turkey Start?
Here is deep fried turkey history. Around 1900 people in the Bayou area started having deep fried turkeys at gatherings. This probable started as a way to feed many people all at the same time since frying turkey is so fast. Also, fried turkey is fun to watch!
photo by Chic A Pie
Mainly, deep fried turkey was a souther way to cook turkey until 1990. Celebraties like Martha Stewart and Emeril Lagasse started sharing with there fans around 1990 how to cook deep fried turkey, and and this started a movement all over the US to deep fry turkey. Now, many people has added deep fried turkey to there gatherings.
Deep Fry Turkey Process
There are many ways to deep fry a turkey. Here is a video on deep frying a turkey. Enjoy!
In the video they do not show everything, but it shows the process.
Step by Step How to Deep Fry a Turkey.
People that deep fry a turkey have there favorite recipe and method. Here are step by step directions to making one of the popular cajun deep fried turkey recipes:
- Prepare Turkey:
- Fully thaw a 14 or less turkey (unthawed turkey will create a fire)
- Rinse and fully dry turkey with paper towels.
- Inject marinade into turkey every two inches. Here is a good injection marinade. Here is a good injection device.
- Place turkey in refrigerator overnight.
- Set up fryer according to manual.
- Place proper amount of oil in fryer container. Follow the fryer manual to determine proper amount of oil in fryer container. (to much oil in fryer will create a fire.)
- Heat oil to 350 degrees fahrenheit. (heating over 395 will create a fire)
These steps will create wonderful tasting deep fried turkey!!!.
Enjoy Your Fried Turkey
Following the fried turkey recipe above or one similar, you will have a perfectly cooked turkey just like the fried turkey shown below and ready to be carved.
photo by Tobyotter
Wow! Doesn’t the fried turkey look delicious?
Need a New Turkey Fryer?
If so, here are three of the best turkey fryers for cooking a turkey using oil. Each one will make great tasting fried turkey! Click on the links to learn more about each turkey fryer.
Bayou Classic 30-quart outdoor turkey fryer for cooking turkeys up to 14 pounds.
Bayou Classic 32-quart outdoor turkey fryer for cooking turkeys up to 24 pounds.
Masterbuilt indoor Butterball electric turkey fryer for cooking turkeys up to 14 pounds.